- Per TCEA policy, there is a no rescue clause at our school. No rescue means that if a student forgets their homework or a project, they are not allowed to call home to have someone bring it to them. In my class, if a student does not complete a project and turn it in on the due date, they will receive a zero and will be unable to turn it in on another day. The reason for this strict policy is because my students receive ample time to complete their projects and all projects should be turned in on time. If a student forgets their homework, I will speak with that student and inform them that they will receive one chance to turn it in the next day. If it is not received the next day, I will not accept it at a later date. The reason for this is because my students need to be responsible and accountable for their education and their grades. I give students a chance to turn it in the next day and if it is not turned in then, I will not accept it any other time.
- I do not assign a lot of homework. Each night, your child will be required to read for at least, 20 minutes. Anything over 20 minutes is outstanding!! Students may be asked throughout the year to do a response activity pertaining to what they have read. The response activity based on what they read will be due on Friday of that week.
- Math homework will be sent home on what I call a mastery basis. If my students are not understanding a concept that I have taught that day in Math class, I will not send home math homework. My reasoning behind this is because they will take it home, become frustrated, and their parents will become frustrated as well. If this happens, my students and I will take what I had planned on sending home for homework and complete it together in class. I will re-teach it the next day, assess their understanding of the concept, and send home homework for that concept.
- For Math, all students will be required to spend at least 30 minutes on Khan Academy. Each student will receive a username and password for our class account. Each student will have assignments on Khan Academy to complete each night.
- I do not assign homework for Science and Social Studies but I do assign projects throughout the year. Students will be assigned projects throughout the year and will have at least a week and a half to complete these projects.
- Students will write their homework down every morning, in their agenda. Once they have written their homework in their agenda in the morning, they will bring it to me and I will initial it. I do not post homework for each night on my website. I do not do this because it is my expectation that my students copy down their homework that is written down on the board for them every morning. Their homework stays written down on the board from 7:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Students are given plenty of time to write down their homework.